“Elders say they were always here. The horses were small, but strong.”
As they await the birth of a new foal, a man teaches his grandchild about the Ojibwe Horses that used to roam the forests of northwestern Ontario. The horses once ran wild and free, but when Grandfather was a boy, they almost disappeared. Now he is the caretaker of his own small herd, keeping the breed alive for future generations and teaching his grandchild about the loving bond between human and animals.
Written by Darcy Whitecrow
and Heather M. O’Connor
Illustrated by Lenny Lishchenko
Published by Second Story Press
To buy Runs with the Stars
Runs with the Stars is available at your favourite Canadian independent bookseller and major retailers.
Honours and awards
- Selected for IBBY’s From Sea to Sea to Sea: Celebrating Indigenous Picture Books catalogue, 2023
- Shortlisted for 2023-2024 First Nations Communities Read
- Recommended Read for TD Summer Reading Club, 2023
- OLA Best Bets List, 2022
- FOLD Kids 2022 Reading List
- Toronto Public Library New and Noteworthy, 2022
- 49th Kids Summer Reading List, 2022
- Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children’s Book Centre, Fall 2022
Yes, I do school and library visits! See my page for teachers.
My sincere thanks to the Access Copyright Foundation, the Ontario Arts Council, the Quetico Foundation, and Quetico Provincial Park for the grant funding that made Runs with the Stars possible. You help good books grow.