Heather M. O’Connor is an award-winning freelance writer, editor and author. Betting Game, her debut novel with Orca Books, was published in 2015. She also writes short stories, fantasy and historical fiction.
Heather knows all about warming up a keeper. Three of her kids played keep for rep teams. In 2006, after 15 years on the sidelines, the devoted soccer mom bought some cleats and joined a team. She plays defence, like Jack. Her biggest thrill while writing Betting Game was touring the Toronto FC Training Ground.
The busy mother of five (and grandmother of two) lives in Whitby, Ontario with her family and her goofy Vizsla, Otto.
School and library visits
Heather enjoys visiting schools, libraries, book clubs and writing groups. She presents on a broad range of topics, including:
- writer’s craft
- fantasy, historical fiction and children’s writing
- business, promotional, grant and web-writing
- using Scrivener writing software
- pitching and writing for magazines and newspapers
Other books and published fiction
- “Buried in the Green” – Urban Green Man anthology, nominated for 4 Aurora Awards
- “One Foot in the Grave” – honourable mention in the 9th Annual Geist Literal Literary Postcard Story Contest
- 3 Nelson Canada education titles
- It’s Up to Me
- Time Travel Tuesdays: Pioneer Community
- Time Travel Tuesdays: Pioneer Food
- Canadian Society of Children’s Authors, Illustrators and Performers (CANSCAIP profile)
- Society for Children’s Book Writers, and Illustrators (SCBWI profile)
- Canadian Children’s Book Centre (CCBC profile)
- The Writers’ Union of Canada
- Access Copyright
- Writers’ Community of Durham Region (WCDR)